St. Michael's is a Voluntary Aided three-form entry secondary grammar school for girls. It was established in 1908 and the Trusteeship is under the control of the Congregation of the Sisters of the Poor Child Jesus. It became a Voluntary Aided Grammar School in September 1958. Boys were admitted to our 6th Form from September 2009.
The prime aim of the school is the formation of responsible and committed Catholic citizens. It seeks to encourage the highest standards in academic achievement, social responsibility and personal development in a specifically Catholic environment.
Head teacher: Mr. M Stimpson
Chair of Governors: Mrs A Gartlan
It is a compact school comprising five adjacent buildings of widely contrasting styles; the Sixth Form Centre is The Grange, an adapted 19th century private house with a lawn and surrounded by trees to which a Resource Centre was added in 1999; the lower school, a stone building from the early 1900s; the main School built in the 1950s; the Sports Hall built in 2008.
St Michael’s is a Catholic school in which Gospel values inform all aspects of community life.
We are distinguished by the quality of education and care extended to all those in the school community.
Each person is recognised as an individual and everybody is valued and enabled to fulfil their potential.
In partnership with the wider community we are prepared to make full use of all the opportunities available so that we are all freed to become the individuals God wishes us to be, and to create a better world.